Banana flower is such an awesome veggie to prepare, though the cleaning process is a little cumbersome however, the end result is worth the painstaking task. It tastes amazingly delicious and has health benefits too. Banana flower is also known as a banana blossom or Vazhaipoo (in Tamil).
Kindly Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such wonderful recipes. Please hit the Like button if you like my video and share as well as comment on it. I have mentioned detailed recipe in description section of my video.
- Onion (Pyaz) – 2 medium size. Finely chopped.
- Fresh Coconut (Naariyal) – Half coconut grated.
- Fresh Coriander (Dhaniya) leaves – Half cup. Finely chopped.
- Ginger (Adrak) – One inch. Finely chopped.
- Fresh Turmeric (Haldi) – One and Half inch. Finely chopped. If you don’t have fresh turmeric, you can use half tsp of haldi powder.
- Garlic (Lassun) – 20 cloves. Finely chopped.
- Garciana Indica (Kokum) – 5 petals.
- Garam Masala – Half tsp.
- Curry Leaves (Kadipatta) – 15 leaves.
- Green Chili (Hari Mirchi) – 4 medium size. Finely chopped.
- Sugar (Shakkar) – One tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – One tsp.
- Mustard Seeds (Rai) – One tsp.
- Fresh Banana Flower – 2 medium size.
- Cooking Oil – 4 tbs.
- Take a large bowl and add Luke warm water, add 1 tbs of salt and 1 tbs of limejuice and mix it.
- For Cleaning the Banana Flowers (Florets) –
- Pull out the upper banana flower part, plug the Banana flower from inside, and keep it on a plate.
- Locate the hard stem part with a bulb like thing and pull it out.
- Remove the small plastic like texture part from bottom side of the Banana Flower.
- Immediately place these cleaned Banana flower part in the Luke warm water to prevent it from becoming black.
- Discard the stem part and small plastic like part.
- Repeat this until you reach the inner tenderest part of Banana Flower.
- Chop both ends of this tender Banana Flower part and discard it.
- Cut the tender Banana Flower part from middle and then finely chop it.
- Immediately place these chopped tender Banana flower part in the Luke warm water to prevent it from becoming black.
- Remove the cleaned Banana Flower dipped in water earlier, chop them finely or roughly, and place it back into Luke warm water to prevent it from blackening.
- Take a large deep Kadai and add 4 tbs of cooking oil. Heat it up.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and allow it to crackle.
- Add chopped garciana indica (Kokum) green chilies, chopped garlic, chopped ginger, and fry them for 10 seconds on high flame.
- Add chopped onions, chopped turmeric and curry leaves. Fry the onion until it becomes semi-translucent.
- Add garam masala powder, sugar, salt to taste, two tbs of chopped coriander leaves and mix it well. Fry all these ingredients until the onions become translucent.
- Strain water out of the chopped Banana Flower and add only the chopped Banana Flower in the kadai. Mix it well.
- Fry the Banana Flowers on high flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Then cover it with a lid and reduce the flame to medium. Cook it for 6 to 8 minutes. Then open the lid and again mix it.
- Again, cover the kadai with a lid and cook it for another 8 minutes on low to medium flame. Allow Banana Flowers to cook in its own moisture and steam. Keep checking it from time to time.
- Once the moisture has evaporated and Banana Flowers cooked well, add chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut. Mix it well.
- Cover it with a lid and again cook on medium flame for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Then turn off the flame. And leave it for another ten minutes with lid covered.
- Banana Flower Vegetable is ready to be served.
- Serve hot Banana Flower Vegetable along with chappati. Garnish is with fresh coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Happy Eating.