Paatra Ni Macchi is a very popular Parsi dish in which fish smeared with generous amount of green masala marinade and then wrapped in banana leaf and steam cooked. The flavour which the leaf imparts to the dish is just very delicious.
Kindly Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such wonderful recipes. Please hit the Like button if you like my video and Share it. I have mentioned detailed recipe in description section of my video.
- Boneless Fish Fillet (Any Fish) – 1.5 kgs. Cut into 2 by 2 inch cubes. Clean/Rinse with water and keep it aside.
- Fresh Coriander (Dhaniya) Leaves – One small bunch.
- Fresh Mint (Pudhina) Leaves – Half a bunch.
- Fresh Curry (Kadipatta) Leaves – Half cup.
- Fresh Coconut (Naariyal) Grated – Half cup.
- Ginger (Adrak) – 3 inch. Roughly chopped.
- Garlic (Lassun) – 12 cloves. Roughly chopped.
- Green Chilli (Mirchi) – 4. Roughly chopped.
- Salt to taste.
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric (Haldi) powder – 3/4th tsp.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 3 tbs.
- Lime Juice – 3 tbs.
- Chat Masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Aamchur (Dried Mango) powder – 2 tsp.
- Sugar – 1 tsp.
- Fresh Banana Leaf – As required. 8 inch by 8-inch size square shape. Gently heat it on open fire for 2 to 4 seconds on both sides so that the leaf become soft. Do it for all the leaf.
- Steamer and water.
- Take a mixer grinder. Add Fresh Coriander (Dhaniya) Leaves, Fresh Mint (Pudhina) Leaves, Fresh Curry (Kadipatta) Leaves, Fresh Coconut (Naariyal) Grated, Ginger (Adrak), Garlic (Lassun), Green Chilli (Mirchi), Salt to taste, Garam Masala powder, Turmeric (Haldi) powder, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Lime Juice, Chat Masala powder, Aamchur (Dried Mango) powder and Sugar into the grinder jar. Grind them into a fine thick paste. Add very little water if required. This is the marinade that will go on fish.
- Take a Banana Leaf. Place the boneless fish fillet in the middle on the leaf. Apply the green past marinade on both sides of the fish generously. Close/Fold the banana leaf from all sides and tuck it with a tooth pick so the leaf doesn’t open and marinate stays inside the leaf.
- Do the above step for all the fish. Keep all the marinated fish aside for at least two hours.
- Take a steamer and add required quantity of water for steaming the fish. Heat it up.
- Place each banana leaf with fish on the steamer utensil once the water starts boiling. Place the steamer utensil with fish on top, very carefully inside the steamer. Close the lid of the steamer. Reduce the heat to medium. Steam the fish for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Lift the fish gently and carefully on a plate. Remove the tooth pick carefully open the banana leaf. Pierce the tooth pick into the fish to check if the fish is cooked properly.
- Delicious and Healthy Paatra Ni Macchi is ready to be served hot.
- Happy Eating.