Moong Dal and Dil Leaves Sabji (Vegetable) is cooked with simple ingredients but high in nutrients, specially Dil leaves. Enjoy cooking and eating this Vegetarian dish.
- Fresh Dil Leaves – Cleaned and finely chopped – 4 cups.
- Moong Dal (Lentil) – 2 cups.
- Onion – 2 medium size – finely chopped.
- Tomato – 2 small size – finely chopped.
- Green Chilli – 4 small – finely chopped.
- Garlic – about 6 cloves – finely chooped.
- Tumeric powder – half tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Hing (Asafoetida) powder – half tsp.
- Cooking Oil – 2 tbs.
- Rinse the Moong Dal in water properly. Soak this dal in luke warm water overnight. Just before you start cooking, drain out all the water from Moong dal, and keep Moong dal aside.
- Take a deep Pan or Kadai. Add cooking oil and heat it up.
- After the oil is heated up, add finely chopped garlic and stir continuously for a minute.
- Add finely chopped green chillies and stir it continuously for 2 minutes.
- Add Asafoetida powder and stir well for about a minute.
- Add finely chopped onion and cook it on high heat until onions become translucent.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook it on high heat until tomatoes are perfectly cooked (skin seperating from pulp).
- Add tumeric powder and stir well for a minute.
- Add soaked (water drained) Moong dal into the Kadai and stir continuously for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add finely chopped Dil Leaves and mix it well for couple of minutes.
- Add salt to taste and mix it well.
- Turn the heat to Medium flame.
- Cover the Kadai with a lid having space on it to add water. Add a cup of water on the lid. This prevents steam from coming out and the vegetable cooks in its own steam. Cook it for 7 to 10 minutes with lid covered.
- Turn off the heat and donot remove the lid for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and mix the vegetable well.
- Moong Dal and Dil Leaves Sabji is ready to eat with Chappatis (Indian flat bread).
- Happy Eating.