Gaajar (Carrot) Halwa is a rich and healthy desert (sweet) dish which cooked for on a special family occasion last week. This dish is more common all over India and particularly northern part of India. The carrot used is Red carrot which is naturally sweet loaded with lots of nutrients. You can use Orange colour carrot too for this dish. Red Carrot seasonal is in available from November to February month in India. Please do try this recipe at home.
- Fresh Carrot (Red Ones): 2 kg. Grate all the carrot and keep it aside.
- Pure Ghee (Clarified Butter): 6 tbs.
- Fresh full cream Milk: 1 liter.
- Kaju (Cashew Nuts): 200 gms.
- Kismis (Green Raisins): 200 gms.
- Badam (Almonds): 50 gms, finely sliced.
- Elaichi (Cardamom): 12 to 15. De-seeded and grinded to powder (without skin).
- Fresh Khoya (Maava) is reduced whole milk or solid milk: 400 gms.
- Sugar: 750 gms.
- Take a frying pan and heat it up.
- Add 2 tbs of Ghee and allow it to melt.
- Add all the Khoya (Mava) into the hot ghee. Mix them well and Roast the Khoya until it turns very light golden brown in colour. Keep stiring continuously as Khoya tends to stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
- Once Khoya is roasted well, turn off the heat and keep it aside.
- Take a Kadai or Deep Pan and add all the milk into it. Boil the milk until it is reduced to almost 3/4th of its original quantity.
- Add all the Grated Carrot into the hot milk. Mix well. Allow the Carrot to cook in the milk until all the milk is almost dried up. Keep the Kadai lid open while cooking the carrot. Let the moisture evaporate. Keep stiring and don’t allow the Carrot to stick to Kadai bottom and burn.
- After the milk has dried up, add all the remaining Ghee to the Kadai.
- Cook the Carrot in Ghee for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add Kaju and Kismis to the Kadai. Stir well for 2 minutes.
- Add all the Sugar into the Kadai. Stir the mixture gently until sugar is melted and mixed well with Carrot. Cook until moisture from sugar is almost evaporated.
- Add 3/4th of Roasted Khoya into the Kadai. Mix them well cook it with lid covered on slow heat for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add Elaichi powder into the Kadai and mix it well gently.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve Gaajar (Carrot) Halwa in a serving bowl or plate. Garnish it with little bit of mashed Khoya and sliced Badam.
- Serve Gaajar Halwa warm.
- Happy Eating.