Tandoori Roti was missed by my family as we can’t go to Restaurants during this Lockdown period and Restaurants are also closed. So I decided to cook Tandori Roti at home for the first time. My recipe of restaurant style Home Cooked Tandoori Roti.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 5 cups.
- Salt to taste.
- Jeera (Cummin) seeds – 2 tsp.
- Ajwain (Carom) seeds – 2 tsp.
- Cooking Oil – 2 tbs.
- Take a large mixing bowl or any utensil.
- Add Whole Wheat Flour, Salt to taste, Jeera seeds, Ajwain seeds, Cooking Oil and mix them well without any water.
- Add water little by little and keep Kneading the dough until it becomes soft.
- Cover the dough with moist cotton cloth for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the cloth, Knead the dough again for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Make Orange sized balls of the dough.
- Take Rolling Board and Rolling Pin.
- Place the Orange sized Dough on the Rolling Board. Gently press it with your palm. Flatten it from all sides using Rolling Pin until it becomes round in shape and thin (not too much thin like chapati).
- Apply water on one side of the rolled flat dough using your fingers or palm.
- Take a Tawa (possible with handle) or flat pan and heat it up. Once Tawa is heated, turn the flame to medium.
- Gently lift the rolled flat dough and carefully place the water side of the dough on the hot Tawa.
- Cook the Tandori Roti on one side for 2 to 3 minutes until you start seeing bubbles on the surface.
- Carfully lift the Tawa holding the handle of the Tawa (it will be hot) and turn it upside down and take it to the cooking gas flame. Don’t place it on the flame. Keep 2 to 3 inch distance from the flame. Cook the Tandoori Roti (stuck to the Tawa) properly from all sides directly on this flame. Keep checking the Tandori Roti from time to time while cooking on flame. Tandori Roti should not burn.
- Homemade Tandoori Roti is ready. Always serve Tandoori Roti hot when immediately out of the Flame and Tawa.
- Apply butter on hot Tandoori Roti if needed, it will become Butter Tandoori Roti.
- Happy Eating.