Pomphret, also known as Paaplet Fish in Hindi, is one of the most popular fishes that is found in India. Pomphret Fish Fry is a White Pomphret fry recipe in which pomphret fish is marinated with spices full of flavor, coated with flour and is shallow fried on tava or pan. This Indian style fish fry can be served as an appetizer or in main course.
- Fresh Pomphret (Paaplet) Fish – Four medium size. Cleaned, removed guts, washed and made pockets in the belly on both sides.
- Fresh Coriander (Dhaniya) leaves – Half cup. Finely chopped.
- Green Chilies – 2 medium sized. Roughly chopped.
- Ginger (Adrak) – Half inch. Roughly chopped.
- Garlic (Lassun) – 10 to 12 clove. Roughly chopped.
- Fresh whole Turmeric (Haldi) – Half inch. Roughly chopped.
- Bengal Gram flour (Besan) – 2 tbs. Lightly Roasted.
- Cumin (Jeera) seeds – Half tsp.
- Black Pepper (Kaali Miri) – 8 pieces.
- Garcinia Indica (Kokum) – 3 petals.
- Coriander (Dhaniya) seeds – 1 tsp.
- Corn Flour – 2 tbs.
- Fenugreek (Methi) seeds – Half tsp.
- Carem (Ajwain) seeds – 1 tsp.
- Cinnamon stick (Dal Chini) – 1 inch.
- Cloves (Lawang) – 6 pieces.
- Star Anise (Chakri Phool) – 1 piece.
- Salt to taste.
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – One and half tbs.
- Cooking Oil – One and half tbs.
- Take a mixer grinder jar. Add jeera, methi, chakri phool, dhaniya seeds, ajwain seeds, kaali miri, dal chini, lawang and salt. Grind these spices in to a powder.
- Add coriander leaves, green chili, adrak, lassun, haldi, kokum, cooing oil and apple cider vinegar in to the same jar. Grind them into a fine thick paste.
- Remove this spice paste in to a bowl.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the spice paste in to it. Add kashmiri red chili powder, corn flour and roasted besan and mix it well. If required or if too dry add few drops of water and mix it well.
- Apply this marinate paste on both sides of all the fish and also push/rub it inside the fish belly pockets.
- Leave these fish to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Take a flat frying pan and add sufficient amount of oil for frying the marinated fish.
- Heat up the oil on medium to high flame. Once hot then reduce the flame to medium.
- Gently and very carefully place the marinated fish in to the hot oil one at a time. Fry this fish on medium flame on one side for 3 to 4 minutes and then gently flip it over and fry this fins on other side for another 3 to 4 minutes. Fry this fish on both sides until the fish cooks properly and out layer becomes light brown and crispy.
- Remove this Pomphret Fried Fish on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat the above two steps for all the remaining marinated fish.
- Delicious, Tangy and Succulent Pomphret Fish Fry is ready to be served hot along with slices or rings of onion and few lime.
- Happy Eating.