Kairi ka Aachar or Mango pickle is an Indian condiment or side dish made with raw mangoes, spices and oil served mostly with Dal Rice or Parathas. There are many different ways of making Mango Pickle. This is my version of Mango Pickle recipe.
Kindly Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such wonderful recipes. Please hit the Like button if you like my video, comment and share it. I have mentioned detailed recipe in description section of my video.
- Raw Mango (Kachhi Kairi) – One and Half kg. Clean it properly under running water. Use dry cotton cloth and wipe all the moisture from mangoes. Slice the mangoes in to 2-inch cubes.
- Mustard Oil (Sarso ka Tel) – 2 big cup.
- Black Mustard seeds (Rai) – 5 tbs.
- Yellow Split Mustard seeds (Rai ki Dal) – 4 tbs.
- Fennel seeds (Soaf) – 5 tbs.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 4 tbs.
- Deghi or Kashmiri Red Chili powder – 5 tbs.
- Salt – 4 tbs.
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi dana) – 3 tbs.
- Coriander (Dhaniya) seeds – 3 tbs.
- Carem seeds (Ajwain) – One and half tbs.
- Cumin (Jeera) seeds – 3 tbs.
- Black Pepper corn (Kaali Miri) – 3 tbs.
- Black Rock Salt (Kaala Namak) – 2 tbs.
- Turmeric (Haldi) powder – 4 tbs.
- Jaggery (Gur) – One and half tbs.
- Asafoetida (Hing) powder – 2 tbs.
- Nigella seeds (Kalaunji) – Two and half tbs.
- Take a clean cotton breathable cloth and spread it on a flat surface under direct sunlight. Spread the chopped mangoes on this cloth. Keep green (skin) side down and white side up. Keep some gap between mangoes. Cover it with another clean cotton breathable cloth. Sun Dry the mangoes for at least 6 hours under direct sunlight. This is done to remove moisture from mangoes.
- Take a flat pan and heat it up. Dry roast all the whole spices one by one, on medium flame for few seconds and remove them on a plate. Donot let the spices to become brown. Dry roast black mustard seeds, yellow split mustard seeds, black pepper corn, jeera, fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds, coriander seeds, carem seeds, fennel seeds, ONE BY ONE.
- Allow the roasted spices to cool down. Grind them in to a coarse powder. Remove it in a bowl. Add salt, black rock salt, turmeric powder and jaggery. Mix it well and keep it aside.
- Take a flat pan and add mustard oil. Heat it up until the mustard oil start smoking. This will help to get rid of pungent smell of mustard oil. Turn off the heat and allow the oil to cool down to 80%.
- Add asafoetida powder and half the quantity of red chili powder in to the 80% cooled mustard oil. Mix it well.
- Add the remaining red chili powder in the grounded spice powder, add apple cider vinegar and mix them well.
- Then add around half the quantity of mustard oil having red chili powder and asafoetida powder to the grounded spice powder bowl. Mix them well.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add the sun dried mangoes in to it.
- Add the grounded spice paste (having half the quantity of mustard oil) in to the mango bowl. Mix them properly so that all the mangoes are coated properly with this pickle masala.
- Take a large Glass Jar. Donot use Plastic Jars.
- Pour half the quantity of remaining mustard oil having chili and asafoetida powder in to the Glass Jar from all sides. Then add 4 tbs of fresh mustard oil in to the Glass Jar.
- Add pickle masala coated mango pieces in to this Glass Jar. Fill it up to 3/4th of the Glass Jar. This is done so that there is space to mix the mango pickle from time to time.
- Again 2 to 3 tbs of fresh mustard oil on the top. Then cover the Glass Jar with a tight lid. Keep this mango pickle glass jar under direct sun light for at least (minimum) 3 days. The more day you keep, the more tasty will be the mango pickle.
- Keep stirring the mango pickle once every day. Shake the glass jar.
- Mango Pickle – Kairi ka Aachar is ready to be served.
- This Mango Pickle – Kairi ka Aachar can be stored and used for at least One year. This pickle does not spoil for at least One year.
- Happy Eating.