Mutton Gravy or Mutton Curry or Mutton Masala is a delicious Indian curry dish having soft and tender chunks of meat cooked in a spicy onion, tomato and yoghurt gravy along with aromatic spices. Mutton in India refers to Goat Meat.
Kindly Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such wonderful recipes. Please hit the Like button if you like my video, comment and share it. I have mentioned detailed recipe in description section of my video.
- Mutton (Goat Meat) – 1.5 kgs. Curry cut. Cleaned/Rinsed with water.
- Dahi (Curd) – 750 gms.
- Rai (Mustard) Oil – One small cup.
- Onions – 8 medium size. Sliced.
- Tomatoes – 3 medium size. Finely chopped.
- Rose water – 1 tsp.
- Kewda water – 1 tsp.
- Lassun (Garlic) paste – 2 tbs.
- Adrak (Ginger) paste – 2 tbs.
- Hari Mirchi (Green Chilli) – 3 medium size. Slit from middle.
- Haldi (Turmeric) powder – Half tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 and half tsp.
- Hot Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp.
- Jeera (Cumin) powder – 1 tsp.
- Kashmiri Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp.
- Dhaniya (Coriander) powder – 3 tsp.
- Jeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 and half tsp.
- Chakri Phool (Star Anise) – 2.
- Lawang (Cloves) – 8 to 10.
- Dagad Phool (Stone Flower) – 2 to 3 petals.
- Kalaunji (Nigella Seeds) – 1 tsp.
- Dal Chinni (Cinnamon Sticks) – 1.5 inch.
- Kaali Miri (Black Pepper) – 10 to 12 seeds.
- Badi Elaichi (Black Cardamom) – 2.
- Choti Elaichi (Green Cardamom) – 6.
- Javitri (Mace) – 1 and half petals.
- Tej Patta (Bay Leaves) – 6 small size.
- Take a large deep Kadai or Pan. Add Mustard Oil and heat it up on high flame until it starts smoking. This helps eliminating pungent smell of mustard oil.
- Add Kalaunji seeds and let it crackle.
- Then add jeera seeds, dal chini, chakri phool, lawang, choti elaichi, badi elaichi, kaali miri, dagad phool, javitri and tej patta. Stir them well and allow them to crackle.
- Add sliced onion in to the hot oil and mix them well. Fry the onions until it is half done.
- Add mutton pieces and fry the mutton along with the onion. Mix and fry them well on high flame. Keep stirring it. This may take almost 10 to 12 minutes.
- Once the colour of mutton turn brown, add adrak paste, lassun paste and hari Mirchi. Mix them well. Fry them until the raw smell of Adrak and Lassun is gone. Fry them on medium to high flame.
- Take a small mixing bowl. Add half a cup of water. Add dhaniya powder, hot red chilli powder, garam masala powder, jeera powder, salt to taste, kashmiri red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix them well and make into a thin paste.
- Add the powdered masala paste into the kadai. Mix them well along with the mutton. Fry them for another 8 to 10 minutes on medium to high flame until the masala powder is fried properly.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Mix them well. Fry the tomatoes along with the mutton on high flame for 10 minutes or until all the tomatoes have melted and cooked properly.
- Add dahi in to the kadai. Mix them well. Fry/Roast the dahi along with the mutton on high flame until the dahi has dried up and cooked properly. This will take almost 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add four cups of water. Mix it well. Cook the mutton on medium to high flame for at least 20 minutes with lid covered. Or cook it until mutton has cooked completely.
- Turn off the flame.
- Add rose water, kewda water and a tea spoon of garam masala powder in to the kadai. Mix them well.
- Add chopped dhaniya leaves into the mutton and mix them well.
- Delicious Mutton Gravy is ready to be served along with roti, naan, paratha, chappati or jeera rice.
- Happy Eating.