Baangda Machhi Fry (Mackerel Fish Fry) very popular in the coastal part of India mainly Maharashtra and Goa. This dish is a delicious appetizer before the main course is served. Kindly Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such wonderful recipes. Please hit the Like button if you like my video and Share it. I have mentioned detailed recipe in description section of my video.
- Fresh Baangda (Mackerel) Fish – Half kg.
- Fresh Haldi (Turmeric) – 2 inch. Roughly chopped. You can take Half tsp of Haldi powder if you do not have fresh Haldi.
- Adrak (Ginger) – 2 in. Roughly chopped.
- Lassun (Garlic) – 12 to 15 cloves.
- Kashmiri Red Chilies – 10 to 12 pieces. Soaked in half cup of water for at least 30 minutes.
- Ajwain (Carem) seeds – 1 tsp.
- Jeera (Cumin) seeds – 1 tsp.
- Lawang (Cloves) – 10 to 12.
- Methi (Fenugreek) seeds – Half tsp.
- Kaali Miri (Black Pepper) – 1 tsp.
- Javitri (Mace) – One inch.
- Tej Patta (Bay Leaves)- 2 small size.
- Soaf (Fennel seeds) – Half tsp.
- Dal Chini (Cinnamon stick) – One and half inch.
- Chakri Phool (Star Anise) – One.
- Dhaniya (Coriander) seeds – 2 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Fresh Dhaniya (Coriander) Leaves – Half cup. Roughly chopped.
- Cooking Oil – 3 tsp.
- Additional Cooking Oil as required for deep-frying.
- Corn Starch – As required to coat the marinated fish from both sides.
- Prepare a marinade for the Fish. For this, take a mixer grinder. Add dal chini, star anise, dhaniya seeds, black pepper, ajwain, mace, bay leaves, fennel, and methi seeds, in the grinder jar. Grind these whole spices first without adding water. Grind them coarsely.
- Then in the same grinder jar, add haldi, adrak, lassun, soaked red chilies (without water), fresh dhaniya leaves, salt to taste, 3 tsp of cooking oil and grind these ingredients into fine paste. Add very little water if required. Grind it into a thick paste, NOT WATERY. After done, remove it in a bowl. Marinade is ready.
- Clean all the fish with water and remove the unwanted internal.
- Make multiple slits on both sides of all the fish.
- Place one fish on a plate. Take one tsp of marinade and apply/rub the marinate on one side of the fish. Also, push the marinade inside the slits on the fish. Flip the fish. Take another tsp of marinade and apply/rub the marinate on other side of the fish. In addition, push the marinade inside the slits on the fish. Repeat this step for all the fish.
- Keep the marinated fish in the fridge for at least two hours.
- Remove the marinated fish from fridge after two hours.
- Take a small or medium sized frying pan or kadai. Add sufficient amount of cooking oil for deep-frying. Heat up the oil. Once heated, turn the flame to medium.
- Take a plate and add sufficient amount of Corn Starch in it. Take one marinated fish and place it on this plate having cornstarch. Coat the fish properly from one side with corn start then flip it over and again coat the fish properly with cornstarch on the other side.
- Lift the marinated and cornstarch coated fish and dust excess cornstarch on the fish by tapping the fish gently on the plate.
- Carefully place this marinated and corn starch coated fish in the hot oil. Fry this fish on medium to high flame for around one minute on one side then carefully flip it over and fry the fish on the other side for one minute. Keep flipping the fish on both sides at regular interval to avoid burning of cornstarch. Fry on both sides until fish becomes golden brown from both sides. Once done, remove it on a kitchen tissue paper to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat the above three steps for all the remaining fish.
- Baangda Machhi Fry is ready to be served. Serve hot along with sliced onion and fresh lime.
- Happy Eating.