This is a sweet dish recipe, prepared from fewer ingredients is essentially the layered fritters dunked in sugar syrup infused with saffron, cardamom, cinnamon and rose water. Khaja is a great dish to make during festive occasions. Khaja can be stored in airtight containers up to 2 weeks.
Kindly Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such wonderful recipes. Please hit the Like button if you like my video and Share it. I have mentioned detailed recipe in description section of my video.
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – One small cup.
- Saffron (Kesar) – half tsp.
- Cinnamon stick (Dal Chinni) – One inch.
- Sugar (Cheeni) – One big cup.
- Rose Essence – 2 drops.
- Green Cardamom Seeds (Elaichi dana) – 1 tsp.
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 4 cups.
- Pistachio (Pista) powder – 4 tbs.
- Oil for deep frying – as required.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add Maida flour.
- Add half the quantity of ghee into the Maida flour. Mix it well using both your hands and fingers. Rub the ghee into the flour properly until it resembles fine bread crumbs in texture. This will help the Khaja to become very crispy.
- Add luke warm water slowly little by little and keep mixing it until you prepare a soft dough of this maida flour.
- Cover it with a clean cotton cloth and leave it for at least 20 minutes.
- Make orange sized balls of the dough and keep them aside.
- Place this orange sized maida dough ball on a flat surface. Using a rolling pin roll it as thin as possible. Use dry maida flour if required while rolling so that it doesn’t stick to the surface. Keep this aside.
- Similarly roll all the remaining orange sized maida dough ball and keep them aside.
- Take one flat rolled maida dough sheet on a flat surface. Apply ghee using a brush on the surface. Sprinkle some maida flour on it.
- Place another flat rolled maida dough sheet on the first one. Again apply ghee on the surface using a brush. Sprinkle some maida flour on it.
- Repeat the above two steps for all the remaining flat rolled maida dough sheet.
- Then from one corner, start to roll it inwards slowly. Gently keep rolling it and stretch it length wise.
- Cut them into equal small pieces. Place them in a plate and keep them into the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- While the Khaja dough is in the freezer, prepare the sugar syrup.
- Take a flat pan and heat it up. Add sugar, 3/4th cup of water, elaichi powder, cinnamon stick, kesar and rose essence. Mix them well and prepare singly string sugar syrup. Once done, turn the flame to low.
- Remove the Khaja dough from freezer. Flatted each and every Khaja dough using rolling pin and keep them aside.
- Take deep Kadai. Add Oil as required and heat it up.
- Once the oil is hot, turn the flame to medium.
- Add Khaja dough one by one into the hot oil and fry them from both sides until it turns golden brown.
- Once done remove this batch from hot oil and immediately place them carefully into the hot sugar syrup. Coat it with sugar syrup from all sides and remove it on another place.
- Repeat the above two steps for all the remaining Khaja dough.
- Sprinkle Pista powder on the sugar syrup coated Khaja from both sides.
- Crispy and Flaky Khaja is ready to be served.
- Happy Eating.