Murg Doh Pyaza is a creamy, delicious and scrumptious Chicken dish that is mainly relished with roti or naan. This dish comes from that state of Punjab, India.
“Doh Pyaza” refers to the onions being used in two ways for this dish. Finely chopped or Paste of Onions are first fried with spices, and then larger pieces of Onion cubes are added towards the end. The creaminess in the curry comes from the addition of Yoghurt.
Kindly Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such wonderful recipes. Please hit the Like button if you like my video and Share it. I have mentioned detailed recipe in description section of my video.
- Fresh Chicken (Murg) – One kg with bone. Cleaned and washed.
- Onion – 3 medium size. Grind it into a fine paste.
- Tomato – 3 medium size. Grind it into a fine paste.
- Fresh Coriander (Dhaniya) leaves – One cup. Finely chopped.
- Mustard (Rai) Oil – 4 to 5 tbs.
- Yoghurt (Dahi) – One cup. Whisked.
- Onion – 2 small size. Cut into cubes.
- Green Capsicum (Shimla Mirchi) – 1 medium size. De-seeded and Cut into cubes.
- Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi) – 1 tsp.
- Ginger (Adrak) – One inch. Cut it into Julien.
- Green Chilli (Hari Mirchi) – 4 medium size. Roughly chopped.
- Ginger (Adrak) – One and Half inch. Roughly chopped.
- Fresh Turmeric (Haldi) – One and Half inch. Roughly chopped. If you don’t have fresh turmeric, you can use half tsp of turmeric powder.
- Garlic (Lassun) – 15 to 18 cloves.
- Coriander (Dhaniya) powder – 2 tbs.
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Cumin (Jeera) powder – 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Byadgi Red Chilli powder – 2 tbs.
- Asafoetida (Hing) powder – Half tsp.
- Fresh Cream – 4 tbs.
- Sugar – 1 tsp.
- Cloves (Lawang) – 6 to 8 pieces.
- Green Cardamom (Choti Elaichi) – 4 pieces.
- Star Anise (Chakri Phool) – 2 small pieces.
- Black Pepper (Kaali Miri) – 8 to 10 pieces.
- Cumin (Jeera) seeds – 1 tsp.
- Tomatoes – 1 medium size. Cut into cubes.
- Take a Mortar & Pastel. Add Garlic, Ginger (Roughly chopped), Green Chilli and Fresh Turmeric. Crush these ingredients until they are coarsely done.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add Chicken (Murg) into it. Then add Half tsp of Coriander powder, half tsp of Cumin powder, one tbs of crushed Ginger/Garlic/Green chilli/Turmeric paste, one tsp of Byadgi Red Chili powder, Dried Fenugreek leaves, One tsp of Salt, One tbs of fresh Coriander leaves, 3tbs of Yoghurt and One tsp of Mustard Oil in the bowl. Mix them well using you hand/fingers. Marinate the Chicken for at least 30 minutes.
- Take a large deep Kadai. Heat it up. Add Mustard Oil and heat it up properly until the oil is smoked. By smoking the oil properly, the pungent smell of mustard oil will be gone.
- Remove the Kadai from the heat and add Green Cardamom, Star Anise, Cloves and Black Pepper and allow these ingredients to crackle. Place the Kadai back on the heat/flame.
- Add Onion paste into the kadai and fry it for a minute on high flame. Then add Cumin seeds and Asafoetida powder and mix them well.
- Fry the Onion paste until it becomes light golden brown.
- Add remaining crushed Ginger/Garlic/Green chilli/Turmeric paste into the kadai. Mix them well. Fry these ingredients until they turn light golden brown. Add little water if these ingredients burn or stick to the bottom of the kadai.
- Add Tomato paste and mix it well. Fry the Tomato paste on high flame until it reduces and you see oil released on the surface. Keep stirring continuously.
- Add Byadgi Red chili powder, Coriander powder, Cumin powder, Sugar, Half the quantity of Ginger Julien, One tbs of fresh chopped Coriander leaves. Give it a proper mix. Fry these ingredients for 2 to 3 minutes on high flame. Keep stirring continuously.
- Add Yoghurt (Dahi) in to the kadai. Mix it well. Fry the Yoghurt on high flame until it reduces and you see oil released on the surface. Keep stirring continuously.
- Add marinated Chicken (Murg) in to the kadai and mix it well. Fry the Chicken until the Chicken releases its own water. Cover it with a lid and reduce the flame to medium. Cook it almost 7 minutes.
- Add Salt to taste and add around one or one and half cup of water and mix it well along with the Chicken. The consistency of the gravy should be thick, not thin or watery.
- Cover it with a lid and cook it for 10 to 12 minutes on low to medium flame until Chicken is almost cooked.
- Add Onion cubes, Tomato cubes, Capsicum cubes and Garam Masala powder in to the kadai. Mix them properly.
- Cover it with a lid and cook it for another 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add Fresh Cream in to the kadai. Keep 1 to 2 tsp of Fresh Cream for garnishing.
- Add chopped fresh Coriander leaves in to the kadai. Keep 1 tbs of fresh Coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Mix them properly along with the chicken. Cover it with a lid and cook it for another 3 minutes on low to medium flame.
- Turn off the heat.
- Transfer Murg Doh Pyaza in to a serving bowl. Garnish it with fresh cream, chopped coriander leaves and ginger julien.
- Murg Doh Pyaza is ready to be served. Serve hot along with roti, naan, paratha, chappati or jeera rice.
- Happy Eating.