Methi Matar Malai is a delicious and very popular North Indian gravy dish made with fenugreek leaves, peas, cashew, milk, spices and cream. It is creamy, smooth, silky, delicious and of course healthy too with the health benefits of methi (fenugreek). It is on the sweeter side due to the presence of cream, onions, cashews and milk which balances the sweetness with bitterness from methi very well.
Please watch my video for complete recipe of Methi Matar Malai recipe. Detailed recipe is also written below.
- Fresh Methi (Fenugreek) leaves – One large bunch. Cleaned under running water and roughly chopped.
- Onion – 2 medium sized. Roughly chopped.
- Matar (Green Peas) – One cup. Par boil it.
- Tomatoes – 2 medium sized. Pureed.
- Milk – Half cup.
- Malai (Fresh Thick Cream) – One cup.
- Lassun (Garlic) – 5 cloves. Roughly chopped.
- Adrak (Ginger) – 2 inch. Roughly chopped.
- Salto to taste.
- Jeera (Cumin) seeds – 1 tsp.
- Dhaniya (Coriander) powder – 1 tsp.
- Jeera (Cumin) powder – Half tsp.
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Red Chili powder – 1 tsp.
- Cooking Oil – 3 tbs.
- Kaju (Cashew nut) – Half cup.
- Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) – 4 tbs.
- Take a deep pan or kadai. Add two cups of water and boil it. Add onion, ginger, garlic and cashew nuts and allow it to boil about 8 minutes. Turn off the heat. Allow it to cool down. Make it into a fine paste in a mixer grinder.
- Take another deep pan or kadai. Add three cups of water and boil it. Add 1 tbs of salt. Add chopped Methi leaves and mix it well. Allow it to boil about 8 minutes. Turn off the heat. Allow it to cool down. Strain the water completely. Keep water aside. Grind the boiled methi leaves into a fine paste in a mixer grinder.
- Take a kadai and add cooking oil in it. Heat it up.
- Once the oil is heated up, add the cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Add onion, cashew, ginger and garlic paste into the hot oil. Fry it on medium flame for about 6 to 8 minutes or until you see oil of the surface of the kadai. Keep stirring it and prevent it from burning or sticking on the kadai bottom surface.
- Add tomato puree in to the kadai and mix it well. Also add garam masala powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chill powder and give it a nice mix. Fry them on medium flame until the tomato is completely cooked nicely until you see oil on the surface of the kadai. It takes approximately 5 to 8 minutes on medium flame.
- Add par boiled Matar in to the kadai and mix them well. Cook it for 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add methi leaves paste and salt to taste in to the kadai. Mix them well. Cook it for 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add milk and give it a nice mix. Cook it for 3 minutes on medium to high flame.
- Add Malai in to the kadai and mix it well. Cook it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add half of the dried Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves). Mix it well. Cover it with a lid. Cook it for 2 minutes for 2 minutes on slow to medium flame.
- Turn off the flame. Methi Matar Malai is ready.
- Garnish Methi Matar Malai with Kasuri Methi, serve hot along with chapati, tandoori roti, naan or paratha.
- Happy Eating.