Sambaar is a south Indian lentil and mixed vegetable stew with few spices, is full of nutrients, and is easy to make. Sambaar is served hot with rice, idli, dosa, medu vada or Pongal. Watch my video for complete recipe. For more such recipes please subscribe to my YouTube channel.
- Tur Dal (Yellow Pigeon Lentil) – One and a half cup. Soaked, boiled and mashed into a paste.
- Dried Red Chili – Four. Cut into One inch piece.
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 3 tbs.
- Curry leaves – 15 to 20 petals.
- Rai (Mustard seeds) – 1 tbs.
- Split Urad Dal (White Lentil) – 1 tsp.
- Hing powder (Asafetida) – 1 tsp.
- Methi seeds (Fenugreek) – Half tsp
- Gur (Jaggery) – 2 tbs.
- Sambaar Powder – 3 tbs.
- Kashmiri Red Chili powder – 1 tsp.
- Haldi (Turmeric) powder – Half tsp.
- Dhaniya (Coriander) powder – 2 tsp.
- Jeera (Cumin) powder – 1 tsp.
- Green Chili – 2 slit.
- Salt to taste.
- Imli (Tamarind) pulp – 3 tbs.
- Drumstick – 2. Cleaned and Cut into 2 inch length.
- Red Pumpkin – 4 inch size. Cut into small piece.
- Carrot – 2. Cut into small cubes.
- Beans – 8. Cleaned and Cut into small cubes.
- Onion – 3 medium sized. Sliced into cubes.
- Tomato – 2 medium sized. Sliced into cubes.
- Baigan (Brinjal) – 2 medium sized. Cut into small cubes. Keep it dipped in water.
- Take a large Kadai or Deep pan. Add four cups of water and boil it.
- Add Beans and Carrot first and allow it cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add all the rest of the vegetables, onions, tomatoes, haldi powder, sambaar powder, green chili, coriander powder, cumin powder, kashmiri red chili powder, half the quantity of hing powder, salt to taste. Mix them well and allow it to boil and cook all the vegetables properly for almost 20 minutes.
- Add Imli pulp, gur, and mashed Tur dal. Give it a nice mix. Add little water if the Sambaar is two thick. Cook it for another 10 minutes on low flame with lid covered.
- For tempering (tadka), take a small tadka utensil. Heat it up. Add Ghee and allow it to heat up.
- Add mustard seeds, methi seeds, remaining hing powder, urad dal, dried red chilies, and curry leaves. Allow it to fry for about 10 seconds.
- Add this hot tempering in to the Sambaar. Mix it well. Turn off the flame. Cover it with a lid for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Delicious and Nutritious Sambaar is ready to be served.
- Serve hot Sambaar with rice, idli, dosa, vada, or pongal.
- Happy Eating.