Puffed Lotus Seeds, Fox Nuts are some of the english names for Makhana, commonly associated with fasting in India. Superfood Makhana are rich in proteins and fibre and low in fat. A healthy and delicious dessert “Makhana Khajur Coconut Barfi” is my recipe for good health. Try cooking this recipe at home.
- Makhana – 250 grams.
- Khajur (Dates) – One and a half cup. De-seeded and cut into small pieces.
- Fresh Coconut – 2 medium sized. Grated.
- Elaichi seeds (Green Cardamom seeds) – 2 tbs.
- Sugar – 2 tbs.
- Powdered Gur (Jaggery) – One and a half cup.
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – One cup.
- Kaju (Cashew nuts) – One cup.
- Badam (Almonds) – One cup.
- Kismis (Raisins) – One cup. Soak them in a water.
- Thinly Sliced Badam (Almonds) -2 tbs. For Garnishing.
- Take a large Kadai or Deep Pan. Heat it up.
- Add Makhana to the Kadai and roast them for 3 to 4 minutes on high flame. Keep stiring it to prevent it from burning. Remove them in a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Add Almonds to the Kadai and roast them for 3 to 4 minutes on high flame. Remove them in a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Add Kaju to the Kadai and roast them for 3 to 4 minutes on high flame. Remove them in a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Take a mixer grinder. Add sugar and elaichi seeds to it. Grind them into a fine powder.
- Add roasted almonds to the mixer grinder. Grind them into a coarse powder.
- In the same mixer grinder jar, add roasted kaju and grind them into a coarse powder.
- Take a large flat pan and add 2 tbs of ghee to it. Heat it up on slow flame.
- Add Gur powder and mix them well. After a minute or so add a glass of water to it and heat it up on slow flame so that the gur is melted and forms a thick liquid. Keep stiring the gur to prevent it from burning.
- After the gur has melted and hot, add chopped khajur to this melted gur. Mix them well on slow flame cook for another 2 to 4 minutes.
- Parallely, take a large deep kadai and add 2 tbs of ghee to it. Heat it up.
- After the ghee is hot, add powdered makhana to the kadai and roast it on medium flame until it turns very light golden brown. Keep stirring it continuously to prevent if from burning. Remove it in a bowl.
- In the same kadai, add remaining ghee and heat it up.
- After the ghee is hot, add all the grated coconut and roast them on high flame until it turns golden brown. Keep stirring it continuously to prevent it from burning.
- Add powdered and roasted makana to the kadai. Mix them well with roasted grated coconut. Roast them for about 2 to 4 minutes on medium flame.
- Add powdered almonds, kaju and elaichi to the kadai. Mix them well. Roast them for another 2 to 4 minutes on medium flame. Keep stiring them continuously to prevent them from burning.
- Add soaked raisins to the kadai. Mix them well. Stir it for about 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the melted gur, khajur liquid mixture to the kadai. Immediately mix and stir them well on medium flame. Keep mixing it well until all the ingredients combines very well. This may take about 5 to 7 minutes on medium flame.
- Turn off the heat.
- Take a flat plate of any flat vessel and brush the surface with melted ghee.
- Pour the hot Makhana Khajur Coconut Barfi mixture on this flat plate. Spread them evenly on the plate. Use flat wooden spoon the flaten the surface evenly.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on the flat barfi surface.
- Allow the Makana Khajur Coconut Barfi to cool down for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then cut them them into the shape you like using sharp knife. Allow it to further cool down completely.
- Healthy and Delicious dessert Makhana Khajur Coconut Barfi is ready.
- Happy Eating.