Dhaba Style Dal Tadka – the rustic way of preparing this Dal tastes very delicious. My way of cooking Dhaba Style Dal Tadka, easy, quick and delicious. You should try cooking this dish at home.
- Tur Dal – Two cups. Soaked in water for 2 hours. Boiled and mashed into a paste. Add pinch of salt while boiling Dal.
- Onion – 2 large or 3 medium size. Finely chopped.
- Garlic – 12 cloves. 8 cloves finely chopped. 4 cloves thinly sliced.
- Ginger – 1 inch size. Finely chopped.
- Coriander leaves with stem – small bunch. Don’t chop it. This has to be used just by breaking or slicing using fingers.
- Ghee – 5 tbs.
- Hing (Asefoetida) powder – half tsp.
- Green Chilli – Two pieces. Finely chopped.
- Kashmiri Red Chilli powder – 2 tbs.
- Coriander powder – 2 tbs.
- Jeera powder – 1 tsp.
- Jeera seeds – 1 tbs.
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Tumeric powder – half tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Whole Kashmiri Red Chilli – Two pieces.
- Take a large Kadai and heat it up.
- Add 3 tbs of ghee and let it heat up and melt.
- Add jeera seeds to the hot ghee and allow it to crackle.
- Add chopped ginger, finely chopped garlic, finely chopped green chilli to the hot ghee. Stir it well. Cook the ginger and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes on high flame.
- Add finely chopped onion. Mix them well. Cook the onion on high flame until it becomes transluscent.
- Add tumeric powder, jeera powder, coriander powder, 1 tbs of kashmiri red chilli powder, salt to taste, garam masala powder into the Kadai and mix them well. Add half a cup of water. Cook the masalas on high flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep stirring.
- Take half of the fresh coriander leaves. Just break/slice them using your fingers and add it to the Kadai. Stir well for 2 to 3 minutes on high flame.
- Add the mashed Dal in to the Kadai. Mix them well on medium flame. Add a little water while mixing. Let all masalas and dal mix together properly.
- Add water as required to make the Dal into a thick consistency. Mix them well. Close the lid of the Kadai. Cook this Dal for 4 to 5 minutes on low or medium flame.
- Open the lid of the Kadai after 5 minutes and reduce the flame to medium. Give it a nice mix again.
- To prepare a Tadka, take a flat pan and heat it up.
- Add remaining ghee to the hot pan. Allow it to melt and heat up.
- Bread the kashmiri whole red chilli into two pieces and add it to the hot ghee in the flat pan.
- Add sliced garlic to the hot ghee in the flat pan. Mix them well for a minute only on high flame.
- Add Hing powder and mix it well.
- Add remaining kashmiri red chilli powder into the hot ghee in the pan. Stir it only for 30 seconds and turn off the flame.
- Immediately add the hot Tadka to the cooked Dal. Just give it a stir and close the lid immediately. Turn off the flame.
- Dhaba Style Dal Tadka is ready.
- Garnish the Dhaba Style Dal Tadka with remaining fresh coriander leaves by just breaking it using finger and serve hot.
- Happy Eating.