Nariyal Gur Barfi (Coconut Jaggery Barfi) a sweet dish, cooked with freshly grated coconut, organic Gur along with pure ghee and some grinded dry fruits. Home cooked Coconut Jaggery Barfi was very delicious and healthy. Try cooking this sweet dish at home.
- Fresh Coconut – 1 big size. Grate it using a coconut grater.
- Almonds (Badam) – 1 small cup. Grind it into a coarse powder in a grinder.
- Pistachio (Pista) – 1 small cup. Grind it into a coarse powder in a grinder.
- Green Cardamom (Choti Elaichi) – 25 pieces. Peel the skin and remove all the seeds. Add 2 to 4 tbs of sugar to the seeds only and grind it into a fine powder in a grinder. Sugar helps grinding the seeds easily and properly.
- Jaggery (Gur) – 400 gms. Take good quality organic gur for this recipe.
- Ghee – 350 gms.
- Saffron (Kesar) – 1 tbs. Soak in one cup of hot milk.
- Sliced Almond and Pistachio for garnishing – 2 tbs of almond and 2 tbs of pistachio.
- Take a flat pan. Add 100 gms of ghee. Heat it up.
- Add the jaggery to hot ghee. Stir it well.
- Add one cup of water to the hot jaggery pan immediately after first stir. Mix them well. Melt the jaggery on low flame. Keep stiring continuously to prevent jaggery from sticking on the pan or burning. Jaggery burns and stick very fast if not stirred continously. Keep the flame on low.
- Take another large kadai or deep pan. Add remaining ghee and heat it up.
- Once the ghee has melted, add all the grated coconut into the hot ghee.
- Keep mixing and stiring the coconut until the coconut is roasted in hot ghee and coconut turns very light brown in colour. Important is keep stiring the coconut on medium flame and don’t allow the coconut to burn or become dark brown.
- Continuously keep a watch on melting jaggery and stir it from time to time.
- Once the coconut is very light brown in colour, add grinded corse powder of almond and pistachio in to the kadai and mix them well with coconut for 2 to 4 minutes on medium flame.
- Add saffron soaked milk in to the kadai. Mix it well with coconut and dry fruits powder. Keep stiring on medium flame for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add grinded cardamom seed / sugar powder in to the kadai. Mix it well with coconut and cook it for another 2 to 4 minutes.
- At this stage, pour hot melted jaggery in to the kadai and mix it quickly with the coconut. Keep stiring and mixing it continuously on medium flame for another 5 minutes until the mixture becomes like a thick paste.
- Turn off the heat.
- Take a flat plate of tray. Pour the hot Coconut Jaggery Barfi paste on the plate. Flatten it using a large spoon and spread it evenly in the plate. Gently press from all sides.
- Garnish Coconut Jaggery Barfi with sliced almond and pistachio evenly on the surface of Coconut Jaggery Barfi. Gentlly press the sliced dry fruits sprinkled on the top using a spoon
- Allow Coconut Jaggery Barfi to cool down competely. Then keep it in the Fridge for atleast 2 hours.
- Remove the Coconut Jaggery Barfi from Fridge after two hours and cut them into square or diamond shape using thin sharp knife.
- Delicious Nariyal Gur Barfi (Coconut Jaggery Barfi) is ready to be served.
- Happy Eating.