Amritsari fish is a spicy and tangy, deep-fried snack from Punjab region of India. And because this fish is deep fried, it can never go wrong in taste. There is something deeply satisfying about fried stuff specially during winter or rainy season. This Amritsari Fish Fry is coated with rice flour and besan, deep fried to make it crispy and get the desired golden brown colour. In Punjab region, Bonelses Sole Fish coming from fresh water rivers, are used for this dish. I used Boneless Rawas Fish which is also known as Indian Salmon. You can use any boneless fish to cook this dish. Try cooking this delicious recipe at home.
- Fresh Boneless Rawas Fish – 500 to 600 gms. Cleaned and Sliced into medium or large size.
- Tumeric (Haldi) powder – 1 tsp.
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Lime juice – 2 tbs.
- Hung Curd or Hung Yoghurt – Half a cup.
- Rice Flour – 3 tbs.
- Gram Flour (Besan) – 2 tbs.
- Raw Mango Powder (Aamchur) – 1 tsp.
- Chat Masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Coriander (Dhaniya) powder – 2 tsp.
- Kashmiri Red Chilli powder (for colour) – 1 tbs.
- Hot Red Chilli powder (for hotness) – 1 tsp.
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Mustard Oil – 2 tsp.
- Dried Fenugreek (Kasuri Methi) powder – 1 tsp.
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain) – 1 tbs. Roasted and crushed into powder.
- Cummin (Jeera) powder – 1 tsp.
- Asefoetida (Hing) powder – Half tsp.
- Cooking Oil – as much required for deep frying Amritsari Fish.
- Prepare the boneless sliced fish for first marination.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add boneless sliced fish, half tsp of tumeric, 1 tbs of lime juice, 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste, half tsp of salt in to the mixing bowl. Mix them well and properly coat the fish with this marinate. Allow it to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Prepare for second marination after one hour completion of first marination.
- In the same mixing bowl used for first marination, add remaining tumeric powder, remaining ginger garlic paste, salt to taste, remaining lime juice, hung curd, raw mango powder, chat masala powder, coriander, kashmiri red chilli powder, hot red chilli powder, garam masala powder, mustard oil, dried fenugreek (kasuri methi) powder, ajwain powder, cummin powder, hing powder, to the fish. Mix them properly with your fingers and hand so that all the fish is coated nicely with all these spices/masalas. Leave it to marinate in the fridge for atleast 4 hours or overnight.
- After four hours, remove the marinated Amritsari Fish from the fridge and add rice flour and besan flour. Mix them properly so that the flours coat nicely on all the fish pieces.
- Take a deep frying kadai or pan. Add sufficient cooking in to the kadai for deep frying. Heat it up.
- Once the oil is heated up, reduce the flame to medium.
- Very carefully lift the properly masala and flour coated Amritsari Fish and place it in to the hot oil. Fry it on medium flame until it turns nice in golden brown in colour from all sides.
- Remove the fried Amritsari Fish from hot oil and place in on a sieve kept on a bowl. This will drain excess oil from fried fish.
- Repeat the above two steps for all the remaining marinated fish.
- Amritsari Fish Fry is ready.
- Crispy Amritsari Fish Fry is served hot with lime, sliced onions, and choice of your chutney or sauce.
- Happy Eating.