Coconut Chutney is commanly made dish at home which is used as a dip with Idli, Dosa, Vada. I cooked Coconut Chutney with a twist. Coconut chutney normally is prepared using roasted Chana (Gram) or Groundnut as one of the ingredients. My twist was that I used Cashew nuts instead of Chana or Groundnut and used Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Tempering/Tadka. It was yummy. Try cooking this Coconut Cashew Chutney at home. You will love it.
- Fresh Coconut – One small whole coconut or Half of the large coconut. Remove the coconut from its shell and cut them into rough small pieces. Keep the coconut aside.
- Cashew Nuts – One cup.
- Green Chilli – Two pieces.
- Salt to taste.
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tbs.
- Split Urad Dal (Black Gram Lentil-skin removed) – 1 tbs.
- Fresh Kadipatta (Curry Leaves) – 15 to 20 petals.
- Dry Red Chilli – One piece.
- Ginger – 1 inch size. Chop it roughly.
- Lime Juice – 1 tsp.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (For Tadka or Tempering) – 3 tbs.
- Take a Mixer Grinder.
- Add fresh coconut, cashew nuts, green chilli, salt to taste, half of the kadipatta, ginger, lime juice, half a cup of water, into the Mixer Grinder jar.
- Grind the above ingredients into a fine paste. Add water for grinding as required. The chutney consistency shoud be thick not waterry.
- Remove the grinded chutney paste into a bowl. Keep it aside.
- Take a small Tadka utensil or large deep spoon. Add extra virgin olive oil in to this large deep spoon. Heat it up.
- Once the oil is nicely heated, add mustard seeds to the hot olive oil and allow it to crackle.
- Then add split urad dal in to the hot oil. Allow it to crackle.
- Split the dry red chilli into two or three pieces and add it to the hot oil.
- Add remaining kadipatta in to the hot oil. Turn off the heat. Just give a quick mix and pour this hot oil tempering into the chutney bowl. Give it a mix. Cover it.
- Coconut Cashew Chutney with Extra Virgin Olive Oil Tadka is ready to be served with Idli, Dosa or Medu Vada.
- Happy Eating.
Medu Vada Recipe:
- Here’s the link to my Medu Vada Recipe. Medu Vada
That looks and sounds sooo yummy!
LikeLiked by 1 person