Basa is a type of catfish and its Latin name is Pangasius bocourti. Basa, also called swai and a few other names, is native to Southeast Asia. It is farmed in large numbers in pens around the Mekong River system of Vietnam, as well as in China and Cambodia. This fish is easily available in Indian Fish market and has become a delicacy amongst Indian diners.
I used fresh Basa Fish Fillet and shallow fried it after marinating the Basa fish with various herbs, sauce and spices. It turned out to be very succulant. Take down the recipe and try it at home.
- Fresh Basa Fish Fillet – 750 gms – cut into 2 inch by 2 inch size cubes.
- Fresh Thyme Leaves – Finely chopped – Half a Cup.
- Peri-Peri Garlic Sauce – 1 tsp.
- Red Chilli Flakes – 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- White Pepper powder – 1 tsp.
- Dark Soya Sauce -1 tbs.
- Extra Hot Red Peri-Peri Sauce – 1 tsp.
- Dark Balsemic Vineger – 1 tbs.
- Mustard paste – Half tsp.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or any cooking coil) – 4 to 6 tbs.
- Lime Juice – 2 tsp.
- Using a Fork, pierce gently into the Fish Fillet from all sides.
- Prepare Marination for the Fish – Take a mixing bowl and add finely chopped thyme leaves, peri-peri garlic sauce, red chilli flakes, salt to taste, white pepper powder, dark soya sauce, extra hot red peri-peri sauce, dark balsemic vineger, mustard paste and one tea spoon of extra virgin olive oil. Mix all these ingredients well.
- Take a flat plate and place the basa fish fillets on it. Add the above marinate to all the fish and rub it properly on the fish from all sides.
- Leave the fish to marinate for at least one hour in the Fridge (not in the freezer).
- Take a flat frying pan and add the remaining extra virgin olive oil to it. Heat it up on medium flame.
- Once the oil is hot, gently place the marinated fish into the hot oil. Donot stir it, as this fish is very soft and can break while stirring.
- Allow the fish to cook on medium heat from one side for 3 to 4 minutes until it’s bottom surface turns light golden brown, and turn it over. Repeat this process on other side of the fish too, once you turn it over.
- Place the cooked/fried Basa Fish on a serving plate. Squeze lime or pour lime juice on it. Garnish it with Thyme leaves. Serve hot. Delicious Basa Fish Fillet is ready to be eaten.
- This dish can be eaten with mint chutney or sweet chilly sauce.
- Happy Eating.