Mutton Raan is one rich dish which I had couple of times in restaurants accross Mumbai. I always wanted to cook this dish at home. I tried it and turned out to be very delicious. Mutton Raan is cooked using whole goat leg meat. My version of Mutton Raan.
- Fresh and Tender Goat Mutton – One Whole Leg Piece.
- Ginger Paste – 2 tbs.
- Garlic Paste – 2 tbs.
- Cooking Oil – 4 tbs.
- Lime Juice – 3 tbs.
- Raw Papaya paste – 3 tbs.
- Red Chilli powder – 2 tbs.
- Tumeric powder – Half tbs.
- Coriander powder – 2 tbs.
- Garam Masala powder- 2 tbs.
- Chaat Masala powder – 1 tbs.
- Tandoor Masala – 1 tbs.
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup.
- Salt to taste.
- Whole Wheat dough.
- Clean the mutton leg piece. Usining sharp and pointed knife, insert it on the mutton surface creating small deep cuts all over the mutton piece. This is to ensure that the marination goes right up to the bones.
- Take a mixing bowl.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste, raw papaya paste, lime juice, 2 tbs of cooking oil, red chilli powder, tumeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, chaat masala powder, tandoor masala powder, salt to taste and mix them well. The marinade is ready.
- Apply the above marinade on the surface of mutton leg piece properly from all sides. Rub it so that the marinade goes inside the mutton piece through the small cuts made earlier.
- Once all the marinade is applied properly on all sides of the mutton leg piece, cover it with a silver foil and keep it in the fridge for 48 hours.
- This will allow the marinade to combine with the meat perfectly.
- Remove the marinated mutton leg piece from fridge after 48 hours.
- Take a large frying pan. Add 2 to 3 tbs of cooking oil and allow it to heat up.
- Once the oil is heated up, add the marinated whole mutton (raan) leg piece on the hot oil. Cover it with a lid. Cook it on medium to high heat for 4 to 6 minutes on one side and then flip it over to other side and cook it again for 4 to 6 minutes. This process is done so that the outer layer of mutton leg pieces becomes hard or crisp to retain maximum moisture or juices inside the meat. Don’t cook the mutton leg piece completely.
- Turn off the heat and remove it from the frying pan. Place this mutton leg piece in a large microwave bowl. Pour all the juices from the frying pay on the mutton leg piece.
- Roll the Whole Wheat dough using Rolling Pin and Board to a thick large diameter (a little bigger in size than the microwave bowl).
- Cover the Microwave Bowl having Mutton Leg Piece with this Whole Wheat dough (rolled) and seal it properly from all sides. Make insertions or cut on top of the dough after covering the microwave bowl.
- Heat the Microwave Oven on Roast mode at 170 degree C for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Place the microwave bowl having mutton leg piece inside the microwave oven. Roast it at 170 degree C for 30 to 40 minutes. Keep checking the mutton piece from time to time to ensure that it does get over cooked and dehydrate or burn.
- Remove it from the microwave after Mutton Raan is cooked to perfection.
- Cut the whole wheat dough which should be hard by now, from all sides and discard it.
- Mutton Raan is ready to be served.
- Cut the Mutton Raan into pieces using sharp knife.
- Place the Mutton Raan pieces on a serving plate. Pour the juices from microwave bowl on the Mutton Raan pieces. Garnish it with Coriander leaves and lemon. Serve hot. Mutton Raan should be eaten with Paratha, Tandoori Roti or Butter Naan.
- Enjoy Eating.