Safedh Murg (Chicken) is a rich gravy dish and a bit different than red or brown gravies that we are normally used to. Try cooking it. It is delicious and something different.
- Chicken – 1 kg – cut into small or medium size.
- Khobra or Dried coconut – Half cup.
- Khas Khas (Poppy seeds) – 1 tsp.
- Milk – half cup.
- Curd (Dahi / Yoghurt) – One and half cup – nicely whisked.
- White Pepper powder – 4 tsp.
- Red Chilli Flakes or just Dried Chilli seeds – 2 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Fresh Cream – 4 to 6 tbs.
- Badam (Amond) paste – 3/4th Cup.
- Elaichi (Green Cardamom) – 4.
- Lawang (Cloves) – 4 to 6.
- Ginger Julienne – 1 tsp.
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp.
- Lime juice – 2 tsp.
- Onion – 3 medium sized – sliced.
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – Half cup.
- Grind Khobra and Khas Khas along with milk into a fine paste in a grinder.
- Beat the Curd into a fine consistency. Add little salt, 2 tsp of white pepper powder, 2 tsp of lime juice, half tsp of garlic paste, and mix them well.
- Marinate the chicken in the above Curd mix for atleast one hour.
- Take a deep Pan or Kadai and add Ghee into it. Heat it up.
- Add Lawang and Elaichi and allow it to crackle.
- Add sliced onion and cook it until translucent. Don’t fry it until brown.
- Add remaining garlic paste and stir it for a minute.
- Add remaining white pepper powder and Chilli seeds and mix them well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add Khobra and Khas Khas paste and stir it continuously until the Khobra releases the ghee.
- Remove chicken pieces from the marinate and add it to the Kadai. Stir/Mix it well and cook it until the chicken is half done.
- Turn the heat to lowest, and add remaining Curd from the marinate and mix it well continuously. Keep stiring continuously to avoid Curd to split. Cook this mixture well until Curd is cooked well and releases ghee on sides of the Kadai. Normally it takes 2 to 4 minutes for Curd to cook.
- Add Badam paste and mix it well. Cook the chicken along with other ingredients for 10 to 12 minutes on medium or slow heat with lid covered on the Kadai.
- Add Fresh Cream to the Kadai and stir well. Cover the Kadai with a lid and cook it on low heat for another 2 to 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Garnish Safedh Murg with Ginger Julienne. Serve Safedh Murg hot along with Roti or Naan or Paratha.
- Happy Eating.