I cooked this simple and healthy vegeterian dish Spicy Dal Khichdi. Full of nutrients and very delicious. Please try this at home.
- Rice – Half kg.
- Toor Dal (Yellow Lentil) – 300 gms.
- Moong Dal (Yellow without skin) – 100 gms.
- Carrot – One large size – roughly chopped into small pieces.
- Potato – Two medium size – boiled and roughly chopped into small pieces.
- Green Beans – 150 gms – roughly chopped into small pieces.
- Green Peas – 100 gms – soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- Tomato – Two medium size – roughly chopped into smal pieces.
- Onion- Two medium size – chopped into thin sliced pieces.
- Curry leaves – 10 pieces.
- Kaju (Cashew) – 10 to 12 pieces.
- Kismis (Raisin) – 3 tbs.
- Green Chilli – 1 smal size – finely chopped.
- Saffron – Half tsp.
- Mustard Seeds (Rai) – 1 tsp.
- Cummin Seeds (Jeera) – 1 tsp.
- Star Anise – 1.
- Cinnamon stick (Dal chinni) – 1 (one inch).
- Green Cardamom – 4 pieces.
- Black Cardamom – 1 piece.
- Black Pepper – 3 piece.
- Cloves (Lawang) – 2 pieces.
- Mace – 1 piece.
- Curd (Dahi) – 1 cup – whisked finely.
- Coriander Leaves – finely chopped – 4 tbs.
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbs.
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp.
- Garam masala powder – Half tsp.
- Tumeric (Haldi) powder – Half tsp.
- Asafoetida (Hing) powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Take a large bowl or any utensil and rinse the rice, toor dal and moong dal nicely. Add fresh water to the bowl upto double the level of rice, toor dal and moong dal level. Soak them for atleast one hour.
- Take a Pressure Cooker and heat it up.
- Add Ghee to the pressure cooker.
- After the ghee is melted and hot, add mustard seed, cummin seed, mace, cloves, black pepper, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinamon stick and star anise. Allow them to crackle.
- Add curry leaves and green chillies. Mix them well.
- Add onion and fry/cook it until it becomes translucent.
- Add asafoetida powder and mix well for a minute.
- Add cashew and raisin. Mix them well for a minute.
- Add tomato and fry it for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add all chopped vegetables – potato, carrot, peas and beans. Mix them well and fry/cook them until they are half done.
- Add Saffron, tumeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt to taste. Mix them well and fry them for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the water, and add soaked rice, toor dal and moong dal to the pressure cooker. Mix them well and cook it for 4 minutes.
- Very slowly add whisked curd to the pressure cooker and keep mixing it continuously. Stir this mixture continuously for 4 to 5 minutes at high flame.
- Add water to the pressure cooker. Water level should be around 4 inches more than the fried vegetables’ level. Mix them well.
- Close the pressure cooker lid. Allow it to cook for 6 to 8 whistles. Turn off the heat. Don’t open the pressure cooker lid for another 10 to 12 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker lid after 10 minutes. Stir the Kichdi well with a masher until it is semi mashy consistency.
- Add coriander leaves and mix them well.
- Serve this delicious Spicy Dal Khichdi after garnishing with coriander leaves.
- Spicy Dal Khichdi can be eaten with curd or pickle.
- Happy Eating.
Looks so vibrant and delicious!! 🙂
Thank you. You should try cooking this recipe.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Will definitely add it to my repertoire. Thanks for sharing 🙂