Bagara Baigan (also known as brinjal or aubergine) is one of the delicious Indian veg recipe cooked in rich thick gravy. I cooked this because my family loves baigan. Please try cooking this veg dish at your home.
- Tender green brinjals (Aubergine) – 8 to 10 medium pieces.
- Cooking Oil – 2 tbs.
- Turmeric powder – Half tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Peanuts – Roasted -Half cup.
- Sesame seeds – Roasted – 2 tbs.
- Fresh Coconut – Roasted – Haf cup.
- Onion – Roasted in a Pan – 2 medium size.
- Ginger – 1 inch.
- Garlic – 12 to 15 cloves.
- Dry Red Chillies – 5.
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbs.
- Cumin seeds – Half tbs.
- Tamarind Paste or Pulp – Half Cup.
- Jaggery or Gud – 1 tbs.
- Coriander Leaves – finely chopped – 1 cup.
- Grind roasted Peanuts, Sesame seeds, Coconut in a grinder with little water. Grind them into a thick paste. Remove and keep it aside. – PASTE NO. 1.
- Grind roasted Onion, ginger, garlic, red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds in a grinder with little water. Grind them into a thick paste. Remove and keep it aside. PASTE NO. 2.
- Clean the brinjal (baigan) under flowing water. Make straight slits on four sides of each baigan.
- Take a flat Pan and add 1 tbs of cooking oil. Heat it up. Add slit baigan and roast them from all side in hot oil. Add salt and little water. Stir well but gently. Cover it with a lit and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep it aside after semi-cooked.
- Take a non-stick Kadai or Deep Pan. Add 1 tbs of cooking oil and heat it up.
- Add grinded paste of Onion and other stuff (PASTE NO. 2) to the Kadai and stir well. Add Turmeric powder. Cook this masala well until you see oil displaced from this masala after cooking.
- Add grinded paste of Peanuts and other stuff (PASTE NO. 1) to the Kadai and stir wel. Cook this mixture well by stiring intermitently until this mixture, special coconut is cooked well.
- Taste for salt. Add salt to taste and stir well.
- Add Roasted Baigan or Brinjal to the Kadai. Stir well but genty until masalas are properly and evenly coated on Baigan.
- Add Tamarind Pulp to the Kadai. Mix them well. Cover the Kadai with lid and allow it to cook on medium flame for 5 to minutes.
- Add Jaggery or Gud to the Kadai and mix gently. Cover the Kadai with lid and allow it to cook on medium flame for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Removed the Kadai from flame and add chopped coriander leaves. Mix it well and gently.
- Bagara Baigan is ready to eat. This dish goes well with Chappati, Roti, Bhakri or Paratha.
- Happy Eating.