This dip is amazing because it goes well with almost anything , from nachos , to any kind of dry starter , it can also be had as a spread . In my opinion you can have literally anything with a super cheesy , spicy dip.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it is changeable . You can get creative with it, according to your taste. For example , you can add a few additional ingredients to the cheese dip after it’s ready , like finely chopped jalapeno ,olives , garlic , or even stir in a small amount of ready made tomato salsa. It’s your choice, get creative . But here I will give the details of how I personally prepare , and prefer my cheese dip. Enjoy. Hope you like it.
- Salted Butter – 4 tbs.
- All purpose flour – 2 tbs.
- Whole Milk – 1 cup
- Grated Cheddar Cheese – about 700 gm. (Can use orange/white cheddar)
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp.(You can inc. or dec. the amount according to how you prefer it , & the kind of chilli powder you use . This amount gives a mildly spicy result.)
- Pepper – 1 tsp.
- jalapeno – 3/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Red Onion – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Take a sauce pan , and on low heat , add the butter and the flour to it .
- Now increase the flame to medium . Using a whisk , start whisking the mixture , continuously. Keep doing this till the mixture starts to simmer and bubbles appear . (This is done so that we can get rid of the raw taste of the flour .)
- Now lower the flame to it’s minimum again . Take the milk and start slowly adding it to the pan , little by little , whisking at the same time making sure the milk doesn’t split.
- Once you’ve added all the milk , keep whisking on medium flame .The mixture will slowly start to thickening , and simmering.
- Keep checking the thickness of the sauce , by dipping the back of a spoon into it , and checking if the sauce forms a thin layer stays on the spoon.When this happens the sauce has reached the right consistency.
- After you get the right consistency , quickly add the salt , and the rest of the spices . Then turn off the heat immediately . This is important because , if the sauce is left on the flame for too long , then it starts coagulating . It’ll suddenly become too thick and clumpy.
- Now while the mixture is still hot , add the cheese and stir till it’s all melted , and well combined . If the cheese does not melt with the flame off , then you can keep the sauce on a low flame and add it , just till it melts , and then turn the flame off . Do this quickly , so that the sauce doesn’t get too thick.
- Keep the sauce aside to cool now . It can be eaten as a dip just like that , but I will be making a few additions (jalapeno & onions).
- In a separate pan , toss the finely chopped jalapeno and onions , with some butter and salt . Don’t cook it till it’s soft , just a little bit so the rawness goes away. This is done so that , when we add this to the sauce the sauce doesn’t split . Also the sauce can be stored for longer.
- Once the this has cooled , add it to the sauce and stir them in properly.
- Your spicy cheese dip is ready !
- Happy Eating.