The first time I tasted this dish was at one of my Garhwali friend’s house. His mother cooked this Garhwali Chicken dish and I asked for the recipe. This dish is rich and has awesome taste. I cooked this dish for my family and we all enjoyed it with Chappati and Jeera Rice.
- Chicken – 1 kg – clean it properly with water and keep it aside.
- Onion – 4 medium size – Sliced into long pieces.
- Fresh Coconut – 1 Cup – rougly chopped.
- Ginger and Garlic Paste – 2 tsp.
- Khaskhas (Poppy seeds) – 2 tbs.
- Kalonji (Onion) seeds – half tsp.
- Jeera – 1 tsp.
- Methi (Fenugreek) seeds – half tsp.
- Whole Dry Masalas – 3 Bay leaves, 6 Pepper corns, Cinnamon stick – 1 inch – two pieces, Green Cardamom – 4, Black Cardamom – 2, Star Anise – 1, Clove – 4.
- Curd (Dahi) – 200 gms – whipped properly.
- Coriander Leaves – finely chopped – 1 Cup.
- Salt to taste.
- Cooking Oil – 2 tbs.
- Tumeric Powder – half tsp.
- Red Chill powder – 2 tsp.
- Garam masala powder – half tsp.
- Coriander powder – half tsp.
- Take a Pan and heat it up.
- Dry Roast the chopped Coconut first on the heated pan. After it turns golden brown, add Poppy Seeds and roast them for less than a minute.
- Grind the Roasted Coconut and Poppy seeds in a Grinder by adding little water. Make a thick paste of this mixture. Keep it aside.
- Take a Kadai or Wok. Add Cooking oil and allow it to heat up.
- Add Kalonji seeds and allow it to pop up.
- Add Jeera and Methi seeds and allow them to pop up.
- Add all Whole Dry Masalas to the hot Oil. Mix them well for just 1 to 2 minutes until these masalas release their flavours into the oil.
- Add Sliced Onion and cook it until it turns golden brown.
- Add Ginger and Garlic paste and stir it well until Ginger and Garlic is cooked. This takes around 2 minutes.
- Add Chicken to the Kadai and mix it well.
- Roast the Chicken along with cooked Onion and dry masalas.
- Keep stiring until the Chicken is half cooked.
- Add Red Chilli powder, Tumeric powder, Coriander powder, Garam masala powder to the Kadai. Stir them well and allow them to coat properly on chicken pieces. Keep stiring gently.
- Let the masala powder cook with chicken for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add Dahi to the Kadai.
- Stir gently and mix the Dahi with Chicken and all other masalas.
- Add Salt to taste at this stage.
- Close the lid of Kadai and let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes on low or medium heat.
- After 5 minutes, remove lid, add little water as per required thick gravy consistency. Mix them well gently.
- Close the lid of the Kadai and let it cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add Coconut and Poppy seed paste to the Kadai. Stir well gently and allow it to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Open the lid after 15 minutes.
- Mix the Chicken and gravy well.
- Add Chopped coriander leaves.
- Garhwali Chicken is ready to eat with Chappati and Jeera Rice.
- Serve Hot.
- Happy Eating.
Excellent recipe !👌
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for following me. I worship you!!!!