Payasam or Kheer is another healthy desert which I cooked today for special festive occasion Dushera. It has all the nutrition of milk, dry fruits, ghee and Sevai (macorani). Very simple to cook this desert. Try it at your home. You will surely like this sweet dish or desert.
- Ghee (Clarified Butter)- 4 tbs.
- Roasted Sevai (Macorani) Thin sticks – One pack of 200 to 250 grams.
- Sago (Sabudana) seeds – One cup.
- Dry fruits – Almond (Badam) – 10 to 12 pieces, Pista (Pistachio) – 6 to 8 pieces, Kismis (Raisins) – 12 to 15 pieces, Kaju (Cashew) – 8 to 10 pieces, Elaichi (Green Cardamom) – 6 pieces deseeded and crushed into powder.
- Sugar – One Cup.
- Milk – Half liter – Boil it and keep it aside.
- Condensed Milk – One small tin of 100 mg.
- Rinse the Sabudana (Sago seeds) twice or thrice under running water.
- Take deep pan. Add sufficient water and Sabudana (Sago seeds). Place it on heat. Boil the Sabudana seeds until they are cooked well (swollen and translucent or Opec in consistency). Seperate the water and Sabudana after it is cooked well and keep it aside.
- Chop the dry fruits except Kismis, into thin slices.
- Break the Sevai by hand into two to three pieces.
- Take a Kadia (Wok) and heat it up.
- Add Ghee to the Kadai and let it melt and heat up.
- Add all the dry fruits (except the crushed Elaichi) into the ghee and stir well for one minute only.
- Add Sevai into the Kadai and mix them well. Roast the Sevai in Ghee for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add boiled Sabudana seeds and stir well for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add Boiled milk to the kadai. Mix them well.
- Add Sugar and stir well.
- Cover the Kadai with a lid and let it cook for another 5 to 7 minutes of medium heat.
- Open the lid and stir gently.
- Add Condensed milk into the kadai slowly and keep stiring continuously.
- Cover the Kadai with a lid and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Open the lid. Add crushed Green Cardamom(Elaichi) powder to the Kadai. Stir it gently.
- Turn off the heat. Cover the Kadai with a lid for another 4 to 5 minutes and leave it.
- After which your Payasam or Kheer is ready to eat.
- Garnish it with sliced dry fruits and serve warm.
- Happy Eating.